Club Info

Welcome to the Elliot Lake Granite Sport and Social Club, the premiere curling club in Elliot Lake, Algoma, and the North Shore!

Our Lounge

Spectators are always welcome during the regular curling season, from the end of October to the end of March.

As well, the ELGSSC offers full banquet facilities. The lounge can accommodate 240 people with room for 500 more on the floor for larger events.

Elliot Lake Granite Sport and Social Club lounge

Are you planning a

  • Reunion
  • Anniversary
  • Retirement Party
  • Christmas Party
  • Birthday Celebration
  • Bridal or Baby Shower
  • Stag and Doe Party
  • Other Special Event

Book an Event

Our Amenities

  • Five sheets of great ice
  • Excellent Spectator Viewing with
    Cameras & Viewing Screens
  • Licensed Lounge
  • Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms
Elliot Lake Granite Sport and Social Club amenities

Our History

In 1955, Elliot Lake was hued out of the forest of the Canadian Shield on the shores of the lake bearing its name. In the first few years, streets, houses, and businesses were the top priority. By 1958, the mining companies wanted to provide recreational activities for its employees. On the mine sites at Nordic, Quirke, and Milliken, metal Quonset huts were found to be the ideal width for two sheets of curling ice. In 1959, Denison mines began building a much larger facility made of wood on Hillside Drive South. Like the smaller two sheets built by Rio Algom at its mine sites, it had a sand base but was wide enough to hold six sheets. Denison donated the building and property to its Big D Recreation Association.

In 1962, Milliken Mine closed and Elliot Lake lost one of its curling clubs. For ten years, a fierce rivalry occurred between the three remaining clubs. Rio Algom sponsored a Men’s Bonspiel and Denison sponsored the Big D Bonspiel. For both of these bonspiels, ten sheets between the remaining clubs were used.

During the remainder of the 1960’s, Elliot Lake continued to see more mine closures. By 1972, with Nordic closed and Quirke barely holding on, the three curling clubs decided to amalgamate resources using the Big D facility. They elected Bill Martin as its first president. Under his leadership, he negotiated purchase of the building, incorporating the property as the Elliot Lake Granite Curling Club.

In 1978, the lounge was expanded to its present size and the main entrance was installed where the bar was previously located. At this time, Elliot Lake had its largest and last expansion as a mining community. Ontario Hydro negotiated long term contracts with both Rio Algom and Denison. Plans were for Elliot Lake to expand to over 20,000 inhabitants. Both mines increased production to meet the demand. To accommodate the influx of mine workers and their families, the city built new subdivisions. The curling club tripled in membership to over 300 members. Thursday night men’s had three draws: 6, 8, and 10 p.m. Friday night also had three mixed draws.

These were the “boom” years. Hydro’s announcement to buy itself out of contracts with Rio Algom and Denison by the end of the 1980’s was the last “bust”. Denison closed in 1990 and Rio Algom ceased mining operations in 1995. By 1994, the curling club was down to 77 members.

The remaining members stepped up to the challenge. Strategies to increase membership were implemented and grants from Ontario Hydro for energy efficiency allowed us to retrofit the plant and install a cement pad in 1997. By 1999, we were once again up to 125 members.

Our club continues to ebb and flow with its membership. In the new millennium, it was decided to amend the name to the Deer Trail Curling Club for marketing purposes. Sound strategies and incentives to recruit and maintain members have put us in a position in the 2015-16 season to crest 130 members for the first time in 25 years.

The Elliot Lake Granite Sports & Social Club is in good hands moving forward.

Scroll to Top